At Manor Drive Secondary Academy we recognise that there is a very clear relationship between the regularity with which students attend school and their academic achievement.
- Student with good attendance records benefit from:
- Continuity of learning in lessons
- Improved performance in examinations
- Support and guidance with coursework
- Maintaining friendships
- Developing good habits for adult life
- References for further education or employment highlighting their reliability
We therefore ask for your support to keep absenteeism to a minimum, so that we can prepare your child effectively for their future.
If your child is absent from the Academy you must contact school on the first day of absence and all subsequent days by 9.00am, please provide a reason for the absence.
If we receive no confirmation of the reason parents / carers will receive a call from one of our Pastoral Team.
On returning to the Academy it is the student's responsibility to catch up on work missed.
If your child is absent for more than 3 days, parents / carers will receive a phone call home or a visit to see if any support is required.
If your child's attendance drops below 96% it will be monitored.
If your child's attendance drops below 90% then they will be put on a persistent absentee list.
Home visit letters
- Letter 1 - Attendance is cause for concern.
- Letter 2 - Parents / carers will be invited in for a meeting to discuss their child's attendance (a way forward and period of notice to improve will be discussed).
- Letter 3 - Intention to issue a penalty notice.
- If there are still no improvements cases could be passed on to the authorities for possible prosecution in either the Family or Magistrates Court.
- The Academy may also refer the matter to the authorities if attendance falls below 95% without justifiable cause.
Holidays in Term Time
- Holidays will not be authorised for students in Key Stage 3 (Years 7-9) and Key Stage 4 (Years 10-11) as the lessons they miss will have a detrimental effect on their GCSEs and academic success)
- Exceptional leave may be granted at the discretion of the Pastoral and Attendance Assistant.
As an Academy we recognise that financial pressures and work commitments sometimes make it difficult to take holidays outside of school time. However parents / carers cannot avoid the fact that students will only have one chance to get their education right and for the staff at the Academy to do their very best for your child we ask that you support us in this matter.
If you chose to take unauthorised leave of absence, then you make be at risk of a fine from Peterborough City Council.
Attend to Achieve
|Attendance in one school year||Equals days absent||Which is approx weeks absent||Which means the number of lessons missed||Absence over 5 years|
|95%||9 days||2 weeks||60 lessons||0.25 year|
|90%||19 days||4 weeks||120 lessons||0.5 year|
|80%||38 days||8 weeks||240 lessons||1 year|
|70%||57 days||11.5 weeks||345 lessons||1.25 years|
|60%||80 days||16 weeks||400 lessons||2 years|
|50%||100 days||20 weeks||600 lessons||2.5 years|